Sunday, January 17, 2016

One Doodle at a Time

January 17, 2016 - Jennifer Herrmann


A whimsical doodle a day challenge.
For December I did the challenge that was posted by @insidemyplanner
on Instagram. You can see other people's doodles by searching #decdc15.

Life gets busy. With kids or without, married or single, CEO or aspiring artist it can sometimes seem impossible to get everything done. I have always been of the mindset that I can do anything I want but I can't do everything- or at least not everything at once. There are only so many hours in the day and if I spend my time and energy on one thing then other things are going to suffer. I think that is actually an important part of life- determining what is important and then aligning my time and energy with that.

In December I came upon a Daily Doodle challenge on Instagram. The first day was fun- I counted out the squares to make the little boxes, drew in a banner, colored in the border and caught up on the days that I had missed. The second day I only had one little doodle to draw. It didn't seem like enough. I had to stop myself from going ahead and finishing up the week. But (for the most part) I did the challenge the way it was intended- one little doodle at a time. I started to treasure the ritual of sitting down once a day and creating something small and seeing how those small moments built on top of one another to create something bigger.

I wasn't expecting it but I ended up learning something. It's not all or nothing. Of course I'm not the first person to figure this out! I've heard it a million times but now I feel as though I've really taken it to heart. Slowing down for the doodle challenge helped me to find a balance.

Of course this was a very small project but I decided to see if this method would hold true in other aspects of my life. I've always wanted to start a blog so I got started and did one small thing every day. One day I would look up an article on how to get started. Another day I would decide on a domain name or color scheme. I tried to do at least something every day but also gave myself permission to take a break if that was what I needed to do. One foot in front of the other. One day at a time.

One month later and now I'm here! And you are here with me! I have a blog set up AND I've posted my first entry. I'm exited to make this blog part of the ritual of my life- to watch it grow and develop. And I'm excited to have you on this journey with me. I'd love to hear from you.

Jen

A playful take on a doodle a day challlenge.
For January I'm doing the challenge posted by @passion.themed.life and can be
searched on Instagram with #PTLDoodles. Obviously sometimes I still get
a little ahead of myself....


No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top