Monday, January 18, 2016

My Conversion to a Ringed Planner


My Heidi Swapp Memory Planner dashboard
My planner with a laminated copy of the family Christmas card  used as a dashboard.
The little trailer paperclip is from Shining Star Boutique on Etsy and I LOVE it!

 
I did not make the decision to get a ringed planner lightly. In fact you could say that I actually came to this decision kicking and screaming.

Since getting my Midori Travelers Notebook a couple years back I have been a Travelers Notebook purist. I love the simplicity and versatility of the design and the ability to throw it in my bag and have all the information that I need at my fingertips. I would sketch in my notebook and use different colors for coding  but other than that I prided myself on the fact that I kept things simple.
The lure of a ringed planner started when I joined an online planner group on Facebook and then started browsing Instagram. In the beginning I scoffed at how other people used what I felt was an excessive amount of washi tape and stickers. Then I went to my first planner meetup and became friends with the other ladies (Hi Monica, Sarah, Charanya & Kim!) Once I saw their planners in person and began talking with them about the benefits of multiple planners my attitude began to shift. I knew my plan for a minimalist one planner system had fallen apart when I found myself stopping by Michael's on my way home from work and browsing planner options online.

Using Target Dollar Spot items in my planner
Target Dollar Spot- the perfect way to decorate a planner on a budget!

I did decide that for 2016 I would continue to do all of my planning in my Midori (a post about how I make that system work for me will be coming soon) but that in addition I would purchase a ringed binder to use as a memory book where I could document the day to day life of my family. I do believe that all of us have an important story to tell- even if it seems mundane at the time- and that there is value in documenting our experiences. The thought of keeping up with a traditional scrapbook seems overwhelming but a binder where I  can simply jot down key events and add in photos sounds manageable and enjoyable.


A simple and beautiful scrapbook layout.
Me using washi tape and stickers!! Pages don't have to be time consuming to put together.

I purchased my planner at the beginning of December and as you can see by the photos I could not wait for a January start. One of the things I love the most about this system is the ability to customize it for my needs so I was able to quickly switch things around and add December in.
Of course no system is perfect and over the last month I have come up with a few hacks that I use to print photos for my planner and to protect the pages. I will write about those and give directions in upcoming posts!

Please feel free to leave a comment. I would love to learn about the systems that you use or answer any questions that you may have about my system.

Jen

Christmas scrapbook layout in my Heidi Swapp Memory Planner
Celebrating Christmas in my Memory Planner.

Washi and stickers in my memory planner
Washi and stickers!



3 comments :

  1. I can't wait to read more :) Bought the same planner in November and all I've done is put the date stickers for January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the striped planner! I will have at least one more post by the end of this week. I'm excited to get up photos of how I plan out my pages and my hack for protecting them.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to read more :) Bought the same planner in November and all I've done is put the date stickers for January.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top